Sleep Apnea: Best Pillow For Sleep Disorder

Best Pillow for Sleep Apnea

Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder in which the person suffering from it snores loudly and does not feel well-rested despite sleeping all night. Some of those suffering from sleep apnea have mild symptoms, but others have more severe symptoms. However, statistics say that only 20 percent of these people have been diagnosed with this disorder. The other 80 percent of people remain undiagnosed and untreated.

Sleep Apnea: Best Pillow For Sleep Disorder
Sleep Apnea: Best Pillow For Sleep Disorder

What Exactly Is Sleep Apnea?

A person suffering from sleep apnea experiences interruptions while sleeping, that is, their breathing stops multiple times while they are asleep. The stopping of breathing blocks the supply of oxygen to the brain and other parts of the body. This can adversely affect the circulatory system, nervous system, etc. People who have sleep disorders are unable to do their everyday tasks properly. 

Some other symptoms are waking up with a dry or sore throat, waking up tired, restlessness, decreased libido, difficulty in concentrating on things, etc.

 1. Obstructive Sleep Apnea: When there is a constriction or blockage in the throat that makes it difficult for the person to breathe.

 2. Central Sleep Apnea: When the brain does not send signals to the respiratory system to breathe. This is generally associated with brain disorders.

Treatment:

The treatment can only come into place if diagnosed. If undiagnosed and untreated, the person suffering from this is even susceptible to diseases like strokes, heart failure, headaches, depression, etc. Nose strips or nasal sprays are used to treat mild sleep apnea. More severe cases may be treated with something called continuous positive airway pressure machines (CPAP machines) and with pillows.

The tongue creates a blockage for the air passage when sleeping on the back. One way to prevent this from happening is to elevate the head of the person, or by sleeping on the side rather than the back. The most common way to avoid this is to use pillows made especially for people with sleep disorders, paired with the CPAP machines. There are different kinds of pillows that one may use when suffering from this. 

Sleep Apnea: Best Pillow For Sleep Disorder
Sleep Apnea: Best Pillow For Sleep Disorder

The Best Pillows For Sleep Apnea:

There are many pillows specialized for sleep disorders that can be used to facilitate the treatment process. They are all made with memory foam. Some of the best ones are as follows.

1. EnduriMed CPAP Pillow: made in such a way that it is compatible with a CPAP machine – it keeps the tubing and mask of the device in place while also relieving pain and soreness.

2. Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Contour Pillow: A good quality pillow that also helps to relieve pain and soreness.

3. FitPlus Premium Bed Wedge Pillow: It is a wedge-shaped pillow with a level of elevation for the head, therefore making it comfortable for people who sleep on their backs.

4. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow: An adjustable and cool pillow that is also compatible with the CPAP machine.

5. Contour Products CPAPMax Pillow 2.0: This pillow is similar to the first pillow mentioned. It goes well with CPAP machines and is also customizable to each person’s needs.

`
Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter