Insomnia is a sleep disorder that affects many people. People who have it find it challenging to fall asleep at night or stay asleep during the whole night. It leads to excessive sleepiness during daytime, weakness, and a feeling of anxiety. Mood swings and a continuous sense of unwell is also frequent. One should know that it is also responsible for developing chronic heart diseases. Therefore a person must know everything about Insomnia.
Causes Of Insomnia
Physical and brain factors can cause insomnia.
- Disruptions in circadian rhythm – changes in daily routine like jet lag, high altitudes, and also environmental noise and switches are some reasons for it.
- Psychological issues – bipolar disorder, depression, or psychotic disorders can be a reason for it.
- Medical conditions – chronic pain, congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, sleep apnea, Parkinson’s, and also Alzheimer’s diseases are common. Diseases like arthritis, tumors, and brain stroke are also due to it.
- Hormones – estrogen and hormone shifts during menstruation are also some of the reason.
- Other factors – sleeping next to a snoring partner and pregnancy are some other reasons.
- Continuous exposure to bright light from televisions and phones before going to sleep can lead to Insomnia.
Signs And Symptoms
- Difficulty in falling asleep at night.
- Waking in short intervals during the night.
- Waking earlier than scheduled.
- Feeling tired even after sleeping the whole night.
- Daytime weakness.
- Irritability, depression, and also anxiety.
- Poor attention and memory.
- Uncoordinated life or an increase in accidents.
- Tension headaches
- Difficulty in socializing.
Types Of Insomnia
- Transient – it occurs when a person lacks sleep which lasts up to three nights.
- Acute – the symptoms of less sleep or no sleep when it lasts for several weeks.
- Chronic – this type lasts for months or years.
Treatment For Insomnia
- Avoiding electronics before bed can treat it.
- Good sleep hygiene, and also keeping aside electronics before bed.
Home Remedies For Insomnia Include
- Improving sleep: avoid sleeping during day time, exercising and maintaining a regular sleep schedule, avoiding tea and coffee, and also cigarettes. All these reasons are enough for having Insomnia.
- Using relaxation techniques: meditation and also yoga are good for curing it.
- Stimulus control therapy – Avoid watching TV, reading, eating, and go to bed only when feeling sleepy.
- Sleep restriction: one should not spend much time in bed after waking up.
People More Prone To Insomnia
- Travelers, mainly through multiple time zones
- Shift workers with frequent changes in shifts
- The elderly people
- Users of illegal drugs
- Adolescent or young adult students
- Pregnant women
- Menopausal women
- Those with mental health disorders
Insomnia can affect people of any age; it is more common in adult females than adult males. It can contribute to obesity, anxiety, depression, and also concentration problems. Memory problems, and also reduced reaction time is also a common phenomenon. Therefore a person must not avoid the early symptoms of it and see the doctor immediately.